digital products downloads

Hong Kong: Death toll in high-rise fire rises to 146 as more bodies found in burned buildings

Hong Kong: Death toll in high-rise fire rises to 146 as more bodies found in burned buildings

The death toll from a fire that tore through a Hong Kong apartment complex has risen.

Investigators are searching for bodies in the residential towers of Wang Fuk Court, where the blaze erupted on Wednesday.

Authorities say 146 bodies have now been found, rising from a previous reported total of 128.

Image:
The burned towers and makeshift flower memorial today. Pic: Reuters

Shuk-yin Tsang, the head of the Hong Kong police casualty unit, said another 100 people remained unaccounted for.

Flames spread through seven of the eight towers of the complex, and the fire was not fully extinguished until Friday morning.

Police said they had completed searches through four of the affected buildings.

But a city official said they expected the search process to take three to four weeks.

People line up to offer flowers and prayers for the victims of the fire at Wang Fuk Court. Pic: AP
Image:
People line up to offer flowers and prayers for the victims of the fire at Wang Fuk Court. Pic: AP

Cheng Ka-chun, the police officer leading the search, said bodies had been found both in apartments and on the roofs.

He said: “It is so dark inside, and because of the low light, it is very difficult to do the work, especially in places away from the windows.”

More than 1,000 people turned out on Sunday to pay tribute to the victims of the blaze; Hong Kong’s deadliest in more than 75 years.

Before the fire broke out, the towers had been clad in bamboo scaffolding, draped with nylon netting for renovations, with windows covered by polystyrene panels.

Smoke rises after a fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court. Pic: AP
Image:
Smoke rises after a fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court. Pic: AP

Firefighters work to extinguish the fire. Pic: AP
Image:
Firefighters work to extinguish the fire. Pic: AP

Residents say they repeatedly warned about the flammability of the materials, but were told by the authorities that they faced “relatively low fire risks”.

Now the authorities are investigating whether fire codes were violated amid growing public anger over the blaze.

Beijing has warned it will use a national security law to crack down on any “anti-China” protests that result.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the latest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Doonited Affiliated: Syndicate News Hunt

This report has been published as part of an auto-generated syndicated wire feed. Except for the headline, the content has not been modified or edited by Doonited

Source link

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uttarakhand News Doonited
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial
Instagram
WhatsApp